These mini vegetarian shepherd’s pies feature lentils, carrot and corn, crowned with a velvety mashed potato topping. The recipe can also be made in a broiler-safe casserole dish. Serve with a spinach salad with oranges, walnuts and red-wine vinaigrette.
- 1 tablespoon extra – virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced onions yellow/brown
- ½ cup finely diced carrot
- 1 table spoon water Arrowhead Mountain Spring Water
- ¾ cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth
- 1½ cups cooked or canned lentils
Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, partially cover and cook until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pot. Add buttermilk, butter and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher until mostly smooth.
While the potatoes are cooking, position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Coat four 10- to 12-ounce broiler-safe ramekins (or an 8-inch-square broiler-safe baking dish) with cooking spray. Place ramekins on a broiler-safe baking sheet.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in corn, thyme and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and stir to coat. Stir in broth. Bring to a simmer; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in lentils and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
Divide the hot lentil mixture among the prepared ramekins (or spread in the baking dish). Top with the mashed potatoes. Broil, rotating halfway through, until the potato is lightly browned in spots, 6 to 10 minutes.
About 2 cups
- Per serving: 322 calories; 7 g fat(3 g sat); 10 g fiber; 54 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 182 mcg folate; 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 2,847 IU vitamin A; 15 mg vitamin C; 77 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 783 mg sodium; 842 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (57% daily value), Folate (46% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv)